Tagetes Essential Oil is prized for its insect repelling ability. But what else is it good for? Read on and find out – so many other things.
Lead times are slow for this oil so from time to time we will be back ordered.
The health benefits of Tagetes Essential Oil can be attributed to its properties like anti biotic, anti microbial, anti parasitic, anti septic, anti spasmodic, disinfectant, insecticide and sedative.
Tagetes is also known by few other names such as Khaki Bush as Mexican Marie Gold. This herb is believed to be a native of Africa from where it spread to America, Europe and Australia. Its scientific name is Tagetes Minuta and it is very much valued as an insect repellent, anti parasitic and anti septic in the places given above. The Essential Oil of Tagetes is extracted from its leaves, stem, stalk and flowers by steam distillation. The main components of this oil are limonene, ocimene, tagetone and valeric acid.
Despite having a nice fragrance, it is neither popular in aromatherapy nor as a deodorant. But that does not affect its reputation as an anti parasitic and anti septic. In addition to these properties, it has other medicinal properties too which we shall study now.
* Anti Biotic: Biotic means anything that concerns life. Biotic growth means growth of living cells or higher forms of life. In the context of human body and pathology, biotic growth means growth of bacteria or fungi or protozoa or any other form of parasites in the human body. So, obviously, an anti biotic means an agent that counters or inhibits such biotic growth in the body. Our Tagetes Essential Oil is such an anti biotic. It does not allow any biotic growth (growth of bacteria, fungi, protozoa or other parasites such as worms) in the body. It has been found very beneficial on open sores, ulcers, rotten wounds and even gangrene. In some places, it is used to clear wounds and eliminate growth of maggots in them.
* Anti Microbial: As discussed above, the Essential Oil of Tagetes is useful in stopping growth of microbes in the body and thereby protecting it from infections. In cases of infectious diseases caused by bacteria or fungi or protozoa, such as food poisoning, athlete’s foot, cholera, septic, tetanus, typhus, malaria, skin diseases, dermatitis etc., this oil can be employed in wiping out these infections and giving relief from the diseases told above.
* Anti Parasitic: This oil can help you get rid of the most annoying and harmful of parasites on human body such as mosquitoes, fleas, lice, bed-bugs and others. It keeps them away as well as neutralize their effects such as bites, stings etc.
* Anti Septic: Again, as most of you are aware by now, septic is another name of infection caused by a bacteria called Staphylococcus Aureus. It is very dangerous and can be fatal. It may start on a simple looking wound and engulf the whole body within a few hours. It readily affects the new born babies. Its symptoms include convulsions, extreme spasm and muscular contractions, swelling with redness, immobility of the limbs and even insanity. This oil is lethal to these bacteria and helps get rid of septic.
* Anti Spasmodic: Being relaxant in nature, this oil relaxes any type of spasm in the body and gives relief from spasmodic cough, diarrhea, cramps, convulsions etc.
* Disinfectant: The anti microbial, anti parasitic and anti biotic properties of the Essential Oil of Tagetes prove very effective in disinfecting the body or an area. When ingested or applied externally, it cures infections in the body and when used in fumigants, vaporizers, sprays etc. it disinfects the whole space within its reach. This also protects from wind borne diseases like common cold, mumps, measles, pox and others.
* Insecticide: The Tagetes Essential Oil is lethal to insects and kills them. So, it keeps away parasitic insects such as mosquitoes, fleas, bed bugs, lice etc. as well as common household insects such as cockroaches, ants, white ants or termites and other such.
* Sedative: The sedative property of this oil is well known and has been in use for long. It sedates inflammations and irritations in the digestive system, nervous system, excretory system and neurotic system and convulsions, afflictions, anxiety, stress, depression, anger, panic and other emotional and psychological hyper reactions.
* Other Benefits: Apart from the uses discussed above, it is further used to ease phlegm and catarrh depositions, congestion and to treat wounds, burns, athlete’s foot, skin diseases, dermatitis, colitis etc.
Few Words of Caution: It may cause sensitization and irritation. Heavier doses or doses of higher concentration may be hard to withstand. It is therefore, should be avoided in pregnancy.
Blending: The Essential Oil of Tagetes blends well with essential oils of clary sage, jasmine, lavender, lemon, myrrh and tangerine.