Elemi essential oil, Philippines Steam distilled resin from the native Philippine tree yields as high as 30 percent. The clear oil is fresh and lemon-like with a pleasant, clean and peppery scent. The lasting sweet balsamic notes make elemi attractive for aromatherapy blends. It blends well with pepper, dill, cilantro and citrus.
Name: Elemi oil, Philippines
Species: Canarium luzonicum (Miq.) A. Gray (Canarium luzonicum (Blume) A.Gray)
The health benefits of Elemi Essential Oil can be attributed to its properties like antiseptic, analgesic, expectorant, stimulant and tonic.
Elemi is a tree of tropical forests found in the Philippines and some neighboring places. Its botanical name is Canarium Luzonicum. The essential oil of Elemi is extracted by steam distillation of the gum resin obtained from the Elemi tree and the main components of this oil are dipentene, elemicine, elemol, limonene, phellandrene and terpineol. This oil is used mainly in soap, cosmetics, perfume and paint industries. This oil is believed to have been used in ancient Egypt for embalming the mummies.
The medicinal properties of Elemi Essential Oil are as follows:
* AntiSeptic: Quite possibly, the antiseptic property of Elemi is why it was used in the embalming process in ancient Egypt. The antiseptic property protects from every possible infection from microbes, bacteria, fungus and virus, apart from giving protection against septic and tetanus. This is not only applicable in protecting wounds, but is also effective in preventing infections in urethra, urinary bladder, urinary tract, colon, kidneys, intestines, stomach and other internal organs, be it in any form of wound there or ulcer or otherwise.
* Analgesic: We all know what an analgesic is for, and we also know that it has side effects too. So, wouldn’t it be fine if there is an analgesic which could perform all its functions efficiently and will not have any adverse side effects too. So, here is one. The Essential Oil of Elemi, with all its analgesic properties, is effective in cutting down pain related to cold, fever, sprains etc. It helps cure headache, migraine, muscular pain, pain in joints, pain in ears etc.
* Expectorant: The need of an efficient expectorant is very much felt when we are suffering from breathing troubles, congestion in lungs and nose and exhausting coughs due to accumulation of phlegm or catarrh in the respiratory tracts such as bronchi, trachea and lungs. It loosens phlegm or catarrh and helps it to come out either with cough or with stool. It also clears congestion and makes breathing easy.
* Stimulant: The effect of a stimulant is widespread. It stimulates almost all the functions in the body. It stimulates circulation, secretion of hormones and enzymes from endocrinal glands, discharge of bile and other gastric juices into the stomach, stimulates nervous response, neurons in the brain, the heartbeats, respiration, peristaltic motion of the intestines and also stimulates menstrual discharges and production and secretion of milk in the breasts, due to its stimulating effects of certain hormones such as estrogen and progesterone.
* Tonic: A tonic is there to tone up. We all know how we were given daily doses of tonic in our childhood. Our parents would say that it was essential for keeping us free of diseases and that we would quickly grow up if we took those tonics. They were right! A tonic helps in the growth and proper functioning of the body by toning up all the organic systems functioning in the body, such as the respiratory system, the digestive system, the cardio-vascular system, the circulatory system, the neurotic system, the excretory system, the nervous system and the endocrinal system. It also boosts up the immune system of the body. What else is needed from that humble looking oil?
* Other Benefits: It is found beneficial in treating sinusitis, joint pain, digestive disorders, mumps, chills etc. It is my family's oil of choice when a mystery viral rash shows up. We dilute it 1:1 and rub it on the rash. Invariable the rash disappears.
Few Words of Caution: No threats except that Elemi Essential Oil can be irritating to certain skin types. Therefore, it should not be applied on skin of babies.
Blending: The Essential Oil of Elemi blends with the essential oils of frankincense, lavender, rosemary, myrrh and sage.