Tangerine essential oil is similar to mandarin and orange oils, only brighter and sweeter. Tangerine essential oil blends well with pretty much all the citrus essential oils most of the spice oils and most floral aromas. Some of these include basil, bergamot, black pepper, cinnamon, chamomile, clary sage, clove, frankincense, geranium, grapefruit, jasmine, juniper, lavender, lemon, lime, myrrh, neroli, nutmeg, orange, patchouli, sandalwood, ylang ylang and more.
With the fragrance of the fruit, this oil aroma promotes happiness, calming and helps with anxiety and nervousness. A 1995 Mie University study found that citrus fragrances boosted immunity, induces relaxation, and reduced depression. Medically, tangerine oil is antitumoral, a relaxant, antispasmodic, a digestive aid, and a circulatory enhancer. Tangerine oil is rich in limonene, which has been extensively studied for its ability to combat tumor growth in over 50 clinical studies. This oil is used for obesity, anxiety, insomnia, irritability, liver problems, digestive problems, parasites and fluid retention. Dilute 1:1 with carrier oil and apply on location, to vitaflex points on feet and ankles, directly inhale, diffuse or use as dietary supplement. As with all citrus oils, keep refrigerated to extend shelf life.
Tangerine essential oil has many health benefits ranging from soothing the nervous system to treating flatulence, constipation etc, thereby improving the digestive system.
Listed below are some of the health benefits of tangerine essential oil:
* Healing Wounds: Severe wounds that turn septic is often accompanied by symptoms such as acute pain, swelling, immobility, convulsions, fever, etc. The components present in the tangerine essential oil can help by killing bacteria, arresting its growth, thereby treating a wound. The oil can be applied topically over the open wounds or can be taken orally.
* Stimulates Appetite: The oil of tangerine can help in digestion by stimulating the production of digestive juices and enzymes. The essential oil of tangerine can also improve the overall health of the stomach by toning and soothing the stomach thus treating wounds and inflammation, if any.
* Treats Spasms: Any involuntary contraction of muscles, group of muscles, etc, can cause spasms. Besides muscles, spasms can have damaging effects on the respiratory system, nervous system and digestive system. It can cause difficulty in breathing, flatulence, belching, spasmodic diarrhea, nervous afflictions, etc. Tangerine essential oil can help relieve muscular contractions by calming and relaxing the walls of the muscles to treat spasms.
* Purifies Blood: The essential oil of tangerine can help in blood purification by removing toxic substances such as excess water, uric acid, etc. away from the body through feces, urine, sweat, etc. It can further help in purifying the blood by increasing the capacity of the red blood cells to retain oxygen.
* For Pregnant women: Applied as a lotion or as a cream, the oil of tangerine can be of great help for pregnant women, though pregnant women should seek medical advice before administering it. Tangerine oil can help to cure sleeplessness, improves blood circulation and checks retention of fluid in the body.
* Used as a Massage Oil: The essential oil of tangerine is used as a massage oil to help in breaking down cellulite and fat pockets by draining the lymphatic system. This can help the body in removing toxins and improving the immune system.
* Relieving Anxiety & Stress: The sweet citrus-like aroma of tangerine oil, when inhaled is sedative and can ease nervous tension and promote sleep. This can help in treating anxiety and stress.
As a precaution, it is best to avoid direct exposure to sunlight immediately after applying tangerine essential oil as the oil is known to have phototoxic effect on the skin. Other than this, the oil is toxic-free though seeking prior medical advice is necessary.